The Big Smith News Watch

Main Menu

  • Home
  • News
    • Traffic
    • Regional
    • International
  • Politics
  • Government
    • Housing
    • Agriculture
    • Natural Resources
    • Public Infrastructure
  • Business / Travel
  • Sports
  • Letter

logo

  • Home
  • News
    • Traffic
    • Regional
    • International
  • Politics
  • Government
    • Housing
    • Agriculture
    • Natural Resources
    • Public Infrastructure
  • Business / Travel
  • Sports
  • Letter
NewsPublic Infrastructure
Home›News›Excavator hits GPL network, outages mount in Region Two

Excavator hits GPL network, outages mount in Region Two

By Savitri Laikram
21 May 2026
77
0
Share:

 

May 21 2026

Another power disruption caused by an excavator was reported in Region Two on Thursday after heavy equipment damaged infrastructure belonging to the Guyana Power and Light at Hampton Court Village.

 

The latest incident marks the third such occurrence in approximately one month involving excavators damaging GPL’s network and disrupting electricity supply.

 

According to GPL, the incident occurred at approximately 10:10 hrs when an excavator came into contact with the company’s electricity network, triggering a widespread service interruption across sections of the region.

 

GPL said an initial assessment by its technical teams confirmed that critical components of the network were damaged during the incident. The operator of the excavator reportedly fled the scene before GPL personnel arrived.

 

The company stated that investigations carried out so far identified the owner of the equipment as Jared Lawrie of Wild Oats Civil and Mechanical Engineering.

 

GPL’s repowering operations began immediately after the outage, with crews working to safely restore electricity to affected customers. Power was fully restored by approximately 11:06 hrs.

 

The utility company has since launched a formal investigation into the matter and has also lodged a report with the relevant police station. GPL said those responsible for the damage will face prosecution for the destruction caused to its infrastructure.

 

In its statement, GPL reminded contractors and members of the public that excavation, construction and other heavy-duty works near transmission and distribution lines must first be coordinated with the company to prevent damage and ensure public safety.

 

The company also apologised to customers for the inconvenience caused during the outage.

 

Post Views: 88
Share on Facebook Share
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Pinterest Share
Share on LinkedIn Share
Share on Digg Share
Previous Article

17-Y-O in custody for killing friend at ...

0
Shares
  • 0
  • +
  • 0
  • 0
  • 0
  • 0

Related articles More from author

  • News

    Peace Corps Volunteers Urged to Maintain “Peace and Friendship”

    7 August 2024
    By Savitri Laikram
  • Crime / Security

    No award yet for Soesdyke Highway reconstruction project

    8 April 2024
    By Leroy Smith
  • News

    Cotemar SA de CV onboard as a Gold Sponsor for GECSCE

    23 January 2025
    By Savitri Laikram
  • News

    Fagundes death probe: Bacchus released, charged for damaging police vehicle

    9 April 2021
    By Leroy Smith
  • Arts & EntertainmentCommunity ReportFeaturesNews

    Guyanese Kevon Wiggings making a name for himself on the court

    6 March 2021
    By Leroy Smith
  • Crime / Security

     East La Penitence Miner Remanded for Possession of Cannabis

    12 August 2025
    By Savitri Laikram

You may interested

  • News

    New legislation to guide investment of oil revenues – President Ali

  • Berbice to have its own School of Agriculture- Mustpah
    Crime / Security

    Berbice to have its own School of Agriculture- Mustpah

  • Community ReportNewsVideos

    Diverted Flights Returning to CJIA Following Lightning Strike

Timeline

  • 21 May 2026

    Excavator hits GPL network, outages mount in Region Two

  • 21 May 2026

    17-Y-O in custody for killing friend at Croal St.

  • 21 May 2026

    Minister Croal represents Guyana at Global Urban Forum in Azerbaijan

  • 21 May 2026

    “Penis Shrinking” rumours spark mob killings in Mozambique

  • 20 May 2026

    YBG hosts youth coaching programme

Latest Comments

  • Waitress/ daughter murdered by insecure Cuban National after visiting her brother - The Big Smith News ...
    on
    27 December 2020
    […] Tara Krishanran and her 11-year-old daughter Larissa Singh.  BIG Smith News Watch on Boxing Night ...

    BREAKING NEWS: Cuban National murders girlfriend and 11-Y-O child

  • Charges for constable in deadly Whim crash - The Big Smith News Watch
    on
    14 December 2020
    […] Constable Simion Alder, who was reportedly under the influence of alcohol when he crashed the motorcar he ...

    GDF rank among three killed in Whim smashup

  • Charges for drunk constable in deadly Whim - The Big Smith News Watch
    on
    14 December 2020
    […] Constable Simion Alder, who was reportedly under the influence of alcohol when he crashed the ...

    GDF rank among three killed in Whim smashup

  • Satchi
    on
    16 May 2019
    One gets terrified at Guyana Airport ,when the immigration officer takes my passport and walk away ...

    Immigration Officer found with 20 Passports at his home

  • Alexis Ward
    on
    16 May 2019
    Good job Mr Smith.

    Man escapes police custody hours before court appearance

Find us on Facebook

About US

logo

BIG Smith News Watch was established in 2015 and is recognized by the Guyana press Association as a legitimate media outlet in Guyana. Our operation focuses more community, human interest and developmental issues. We also do focus on matters of crime, security, business, politics and current affairs. The entity is headed by Leroy Smith, a practicing journalist with experience in news gathering, reporting and coverage spanning seventeen years. Mr. Smith joined the media 2005 and worked at several media housing before launching BIG Smith News Watch in 2015.

  • +592-705-8780
  • bigsmithnewswatch35@gmail.com
  • Popular Posts

  • Lance Corporal dies days after fight with police sergeant

    By Leroy Smith
    8 May 2019
  • Nonummy suspendisse hendrerit ultrices

    By DesignUTD
    26 August 2015
  • 21 Year Old mechanic busted with cocaine pellets in hotel room

    By Leroy Smith
    27 April 2019
  • Bandit shows up to robbery with ‘one bullet’; shot dead by security guard

    By Leroy Smith
    30 April 2019

Follow us

© Copyright www.bigsmithnewswatch.news. All rights reserved.