The Big Smith News Watch

Main Menu

  • Home
  • News
    • Traffic
    • Regional
    • International
  • Politics
  • Government
    • Housing
    • Agriculture
    • Natural Resources
    • Public Infrastructure
  • Business / Travel
  • Sports
  • Letter

logo

  • Home
  • News
    • Traffic
    • Regional
    • International
  • Politics
  • Government
    • Housing
    • Agriculture
    • Natural Resources
    • Public Infrastructure
  • Business / Travel
  • Sports
  • Letter
GovernmentNewsPublic InfrastructureTravel
Home›Government›Gov’t calls for immediate end to Mabura-Kurupukari road toll

Gov’t calls for immediate end to Mabura-Kurupukari road toll

By Savitri Laikram
18 August 2026
380
0
Share:

August 18 2026

 

The Government of Guyana is calling on Demerara Timbers Limited (DTL) to immediately stop collecting tolls from motorists using the Mabura to Kurupukari Road, arguing that continued charges are no longer justified given the State’s substantial investment in the roadway.

 

The position was outlined by Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Public Works Vladim Persaud in a letter to DTL following a meeting on August 10 concerning the toll being collected at a gate along the Mabura Road.

 

According to the Ministry, the Government, through the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC), has maintained the Mabura-Kurupukari section of the roadway for approximately eight years, using significant financial and technical resources to preserve the road and maintain connectivity to hinterland communities.

 

The Ministry acknowledged that DTL previously carried out maintenance on the roadway and had indicated that written permission was granted for the company to collect a toll.

 

However, the Government said the circumstances under which that permission was granted have changed significantly.

 

The Government has since completed the upgrading of the Linden-Mabura Hill Road and is advancing the next phase of the corridor, which involves constructing an additional 30 kilometres of roadway from Mabura towards Kurupukari.

 

The Ministry said these investments are intended to improve accessibility, reduce transportation costs, stimulate economic activity and benefit all road users, including DTL and its operations.

 

Against this backdrop, the Government said DTL’s continued collection of tolls is no longer considered appropriate or justified.

 

The company has therefore been asked to immediately discontinue the toll and stop charging members of the public and other road users for access to the roadway.

 

The Ministry has also requested written confirmation from DTL that the toll has been discontinued, stressing the importance of facilitating the free and efficient movement of people, goods and services along the national transportation corridor.

 

Share on Facebook Share
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Pinterest Share
Share on LinkedIn Share
Share on Digg Share
Previous Article

Unitech employee dies in Vryheids Lust crash

0
Shares
  • 0
  • +
  • 0
  • 0
  • 0
  • 0

Related articles More from author

  • Crime / SecurityNewsRegional

    ‘Mexican Batman’ wanted for capturing thieves and taping them to lampposts

    1 July 2026
    By Savitri Laikram
  • Crime / SecurityGovernmentInternationalNewsPoliticsRegionalTravel

    Venezuela’s Power Struggle: Two Women, One Nation and the Man in the Middle

    15 January 2026
    By Savitri Laikram
  • News

    677.40kgs in narcotics seized by CANU for January-June 2023.

    22 July 2023
    By Savitri Laikram
  • News

    BEA launches “Emancipation Pitch”

    6 June 2023
    By Savitri Laikram
  • News

    Former policeman wanted for murder at Seetat’s Bar

    29 July 2019
    By Leroy Smith
  • Crime / Security

    Lola Doll Recovering, One Suspect Released, One Still in Custody

    10 September 2025
    By Savitri Laikram

You may interested

  • Government

    Government Eyes Modernisation Plan for Bourda Market

  • Crime / Security

    “I can’t take it anymore” – Wife of Motorcyclist Who Died in Berbice Crash

  • News

    Records tumble on 9th edition of Milo Football.

Timeline

  • 18 August 2026

    Gov’t calls for immediate end to Mabura-Kurupukari road toll

  • 17 August 2026

    Unitech employee dies in Vryheids Lust crash

  • 17 August 2026

    GPL reviews key power projects, focuses on timely delivery

  • 17 August 2026

    CH&PA warns contractors against burning construction waste

  • 17 August 2026

    Yarrowkabra Regional Food Hub set to boost storage and agricultural exports

Latest Comments

  • Waitress/ daughter murdered by insecure Cuban National after visiting her brother - The Big Smith News ...
    on
    27 December 2020
    […] Tara Krishanran and her 11-year-old daughter Larissa Singh.  BIG Smith News Watch on Boxing Night ...

    BREAKING NEWS: Cuban National murders girlfriend and 11-Y-O child

  • Charges for constable in deadly Whim crash - The Big Smith News Watch
    on
    14 December 2020
    […] Constable Simion Alder, who was reportedly under the influence of alcohol when he crashed the motorcar he ...

    GDF rank among three killed in Whim smashup

  • Charges for drunk constable in deadly Whim - The Big Smith News Watch
    on
    14 December 2020
    […] Constable Simion Alder, who was reportedly under the influence of alcohol when he crashed the ...

    GDF rank among three killed in Whim smashup

  • Satchi
    on
    16 May 2019
    One gets terrified at Guyana Airport ,when the immigration officer takes my passport and walk away ...

    Immigration Officer found with 20 Passports at his home

  • Alexis Ward
    on
    16 May 2019
    Good job Mr Smith.

    Man escapes police custody hours before court appearance

Find us on Facebook

About US

logo

BIG Smith News Watch was established in 2015 and is recognized by the Guyana press Association as a legitimate media outlet in Guyana. Our operation focuses more community, human interest and developmental issues. We also do focus on matters of crime, security, business, politics and current affairs. The entity is headed by Leroy Smith, a practicing journalist with experience in news gathering, reporting and coverage spanning seventeen years. Mr. Smith joined the media 2005 and worked at several media housing before launching BIG Smith News Watch in 2015.

  • +592-705-8780
  • bigsmithnewswatch35@gmail.com
  • Popular Posts

  • Lance Corporal dies days after fight with police sergeant

    By Leroy Smith
    8 May 2019
  • Nonummy suspendisse hendrerit ultrices

    By DesignUTD
    26 August 2015
  • 21 Year Old mechanic busted with cocaine pellets in hotel room

    By Leroy Smith
    27 April 2019
  • Bandit shows up to robbery with ‘one bullet’; shot dead by security guard

    By Leroy Smith
    30 April 2019

Follow us

© Copyright www.bigsmithnewswatch.news. All rights reserved.