The Big Smith News Watch

Main Menu

  • Home
  • News
    • Traffic
    • Regional
    • International
  • Politics
  • Government
    • Housing
    • Agriculture
    • Natural Resources
    • Public Infrastructure
  • Business / Travel
  • Sports
  • Letter

logo

  • Home
  • News
    • Traffic
    • Regional
    • International
  • Politics
  • Government
    • Housing
    • Agriculture
    • Natural Resources
    • Public Infrastructure
  • Business / Travel
  • Sports
  • Letter
News
Home›News›Former Land Commissioner Trevor Benn slapped with another misconduct charge

Former Land Commissioner Trevor Benn slapped with another misconduct charge

By Leroy Smith
21 April 2021
241
0
Share:

Another charge of misconduct in public office was this morning read to former Commissioner and Chief Executive Officer of the Guyana Lands and Surveys Commission (GL&SC), Trevor Benn when he appeared on Wednesday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts. Benn, who was not required to plead to the indictable charge was released on $100,000 bail by Principal Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus.

The charge stated that between December 1, 2018, and August 31, August 31, 2019, at Guyana Lands and Survey Commission, Georgetown, while being a public officer, Benn wilfully misconduct himself by executing a sale of two parcels of land known as Parcel 4725 being a mutation of Parcel 4716 L.R.B No. XXX and Parcel 4805 being the mutation of former Parcel 4779, all being a portion of Middle Walk, Plantation Ruimveldt and causing Wilfred Brandsford to pay the sum $13.5M to GL&SC for the said lands, knowing at the time he did not have the authority to sell the said land lands and knowing the said plot A had been earlier valued at the sum of $60.8M, the said wilful misconduct amounting to breach of the public’s trust, without any excuse or reasonable justification.

Brandsford is the owner of Car Care Enterprise.

On March 12, last 53-year-old Benn made his first appearance before Senior Magistrate Leron Daly who read a charge of misconduct in public office to him.  In relation to that charge to which he was not required to plead, Benn was released on $200,000 bail. That charge concerns the leasing of six acres of land at Ogle, East Coast Demerara (ECD) to Janico Vide Engineering Limited.

The charge stated that between January 1, 2018, and March 31, 2020, at GL&SC, Georgetown, while being a public officer, he wilfully misconducted himself by causing $27 million to be paid by Janico Vide Industrial Engineering Limited for the lease of six acres of land at Plantation Ogle, ECD, knowing at the time GL&SC did not have the authority to lease any lands.

The charge further stated that he granted a provisional lease on March 27, 2020, to Janico Vide Industrial Engineering Limited without any description and that his wilful misconduct amounted to a breach of the public’s trust, without any excuse reasonable or justification.

According to reports, during the period mentioned, Benn who was Commissioner of GL&SC at the time allegedly leased six acres of State lands located at Ogle, East Coast Demerara. The lands valued at $27M million belonged to the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL) and not GL&SC.

Benn was appointed boss of GL&SC in 2016 by the David Granger administration and was granted presidential powers related to the renting and granting of leases, licenses, and permission of occupancy of all public lands. However, when President Dr. Irfaan Ali’s administration took office in August 2020, Benn was stripped of those powers and was later fired on February 4, 2021.

Share on Facebook Share
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Pinterest Share
Share on LinkedIn Share
Share on Digg Share
TagsBIG Smith News WatchCar CareFormer Commissioner of LandsGuyana Lands and Survey CommissionMagistrate Sherdel Isaacs-MarcusOgleTrevor Benn
Previous Article

Trial postponed as SOCU Prosecutor, Patterson, Adams ...

Next Article

Region Two surpasses 300 COVID-19 cases

0
Shares
  • 0
  • +
  • 0
  • 0
  • 0
  • 0

Related articles More from author

  • Crime / Security

    SUICIDE UPDATE: Teen’s father failed to properly secure guns at home; had no safe

    28 October 2020
    By Leroy Smith
  • News

     “Bajan” remanded for trafficking 463 lbs of marijuana

    3 September 2021
    By Leroy Smith
  • News

    Protestors picket PNC’s HQ calling for the party congress to be held

    14 April 2021
    By Leroy Smith
  • Community ReportNews

    Govt seeks more money for COVID 19 relief among other sums today

    28 December 2020
    By Leroy Smith
  • Body on cocaine plane brought to Georgetown; Interpol to play a role probe
    Crime / Security

    BREAKING: Second illegal aircraft found with cocaine and dead man onboard

    14 September 2020
    By Leroy Smith
  • Missing Accident Victim: Car owner confesses; was lying through his teeth
    Crime / Security

    Missing Accident Victim: Car owner confesses; was lying through his teeth

    7 June 2022
    By Leroy Smith

You may interested

  • Crime / SecurityNews

    Man Fined $83.340M For Ganja Possession

  • Crime / Security

    Man Gets 24 Years for Killing Wife in 1998

  • News

    NEWS FLASH: Fire set to Magistrate’s Court

Connect Us

  • Envato
  • 279.4K+
    Likes
  • 4.5K+
    Followers
  • Subscribers
  • Followers
  • Subscribe
    RSS Feeds

Latest News

EducationGovernmentNews

CXC, CAPE, CVQ results to be released today!

August 18 2026   The Ministry of Education is set to release the preliminary results of the 2026 Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC) examinations today, giving the first indication of how ...
  • Gov’t calls for immediate end to Mabura-Kurupukari road toll

    By Savitri Laikram
    18 August 2026
  • Unitech employee dies in Vryheids Lust crash

    By Savitri Laikram
    17 August 2026
  • GPL reviews key power projects, focuses on timely delivery

    By Savitri Laikram
    17 August 2026
  • CH&PA warns contractors against burning construction waste

    By Savitri Laikram
    17 August 2026

FeedBurner Widget

Sign up to receive email updates and to hear what's going on with our magazine!

About US

logo

BIG Smith News Watch was established in 2015 and is recognized by the Guyana press Association as a legitimate media outlet in Guyana. Our operation focuses more community, human interest and developmental issues. We also do focus on matters of crime, security, business, politics and current affairs. The entity is headed by Leroy Smith, a practicing journalist with experience in news gathering, reporting and coverage spanning seventeen years. Mr. Smith joined the media 2005 and worked at several media housing before launching BIG Smith News Watch in 2015.

  • +592-705-8780
  • bigsmithnewswatch35@gmail.com
  • Popular Posts

  • Lance Corporal dies days after fight with police sergeant

    By Leroy Smith
    8 May 2019
  • Nonummy suspendisse hendrerit ultrices

    By DesignUTD
    26 August 2015
  • 21 Year Old mechanic busted with cocaine pellets in hotel room

    By Leroy Smith
    27 April 2019
  • Bandit shows up to robbery with ‘one bullet’; shot dead by security guard

    By Leroy Smith
    30 April 2019

Follow us

© Copyright www.bigsmithnewswatch.news. All rights reserved.