Trump pushes Green Card applicants to leave US during processing

May 23 2026
The administration of Donald Trump has announced a major overhaul of the United States immigration process that will require most green card applicants already living in the country to leave and complete their applications from their home countries.
The new directive, issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), marks one of the most significant changes to the adjustment-of-status process in recent years and is expected to affect hundreds of thousands of immigrants currently residing legally in the United States on temporary visas.
Under the policy, individuals seeking lawful permanent residency commonly known as a green card will generally no longer be allowed to remain in the United States while their applications are being processed. Instead, they will be required to return to their countries of origin and complete the process through U.S. consulates abroad, a procedure known as “consular processing.”
USCIS spokesperson Zach Kahler said the agency would only allow applicants to adjust their immigration status from within the United States in “extraordinary circumstances,” which will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
“We’re returning to the original intent of the law to ensure aliens navigate our nation’s immigration system properly,” Kahler said in a statement released Friday. He argued that the move would discourage individuals from overstaying temporary visas after being denied residency.
The change is expected to impact immigrants on student, tourist and temporary work visas who previously relied on the adjustment of status process to remain in the U.S. while pursuing permanent residency through family sponsorship, marriage or employment opportunities. Immigration attorneys and advocacy groups have warned that the new rule could separate families, disrupt businesses and force applicants to leave jobs and communities for months or even years while their cases are processed overseas.
Reports indicate that the administration may still allow exceptions for individuals deemed to provide significant economic benefit or who serve the national interest, though officials have not yet clarified how those exemptions will be applied.
The policy has already sparked widespread criticism from immigration advocates and legal experts, many of whom argue that the move effectively restricts legal immigration pathways while adding further strain to an already backlogged immigration system. Several analysts also expect legal challenges to follow in the coming weeks.













