Excavator hits GPL network, outages mount in Region Two

May 21 2026
Another power disruption caused by an excavator was reported in Region Two on Thursday after heavy equipment damaged infrastructure belonging to the Guyana Power and Light at Hampton Court Village.
The latest incident marks the third such occurrence in approximately one month involving excavators damaging GPL’s network and disrupting electricity supply.
According to GPL, the incident occurred at approximately 10:10 hrs when an excavator came into contact with the company’s electricity network, triggering a widespread service interruption across sections of the region.
GPL said an initial assessment by its technical teams confirmed that critical components of the network were damaged during the incident. The operator of the excavator reportedly fled the scene before GPL personnel arrived.
The company stated that investigations carried out so far identified the owner of the equipment as Jared Lawrie of Wild Oats Civil and Mechanical Engineering.
GPL’s repowering operations began immediately after the outage, with crews working to safely restore electricity to affected customers. Power was fully restored by approximately 11:06 hrs.
The utility company has since launched a formal investigation into the matter and has also lodged a report with the relevant police station. GPL said those responsible for the damage will face prosecution for the destruction caused to its infrastructure.
In its statement, GPL reminded contractors and members of the public that excavation, construction and other heavy-duty works near transmission and distribution lines must first be coordinated with the company to prevent damage and ensure public safety.
The company also apologised to customers for the inconvenience caused during the outage.













